1 (of non-living objects) the state of being free of pathogenic organisms [syn: asepsis, antisepsis, sterileness]
2 the state of being unable to produce offspring; in a woman it is an inability to conceive; in a man it is an inability to impregnate [syn: infertility] [ant: fertility]
- The state or quality of being sterile.
state of being sterile
- Czech: neplodnost
The term Sterility has several meanings:
- The quality or state of being unable to reproduce; of being infertile. The term may be used of higher animals.
- An aseptic condition, meaning an absence of living things, as in microbiology or the environment. See also aseptic technique and sterilization (microbiology).
- Sterility in medicine and surgery indicates a micro-environment (the surgical field) made free of infectious microorganisms.
- In literature and art, the term suggests work that does not arouse the intellect or the emotions.
- Sterile Records, a record label.
sterility in Spanish: Estéril
sterility in Indonesian: Steril
sterility in French: Stérilité (homonymie)
sterility in Portuguese: Estéril
sterility in Danish: steril
sterility in Swedish: sterilitet
aridity, asepsis, barrenness, birth control, bloodlessness, characterlessness, cleanliness, cleanly habits, cleanness, colorlessness, contraception, daintiness, deadness, dearth, dismalness, dragginess, dreariness, dry womb, dryness, dullness, dustiness, effeteness, emptiness, etiolation, family planning, famine, fastidiousness, flatness, freshness, heaviness, hollowness, hospital cleanliness, immaculacy, immaculateness, impotence, inanity, ineffectualness, inexcitability, infecundity, infertility, insipidity, insipidness, jejunity, leadenness, lifelessness, lowness of spirit, paleness, pallor, planned parenthood, pointlessness, pokiness, ponderousness, pureness, purity, slowness, solemnity, spiritlessness, spotlessness, stainlessness, sterileness, stiffness, stodginess, stuffiness, superficiality, tastelessness, tediousness, tidiness, unfertileness, unfruitfulness, uninterestingness, unliveliness, unproductiveness, unspottedness, vapidity, vapidness, whiteness, withered loins, woodenness